Before we begin,
The right domain
A domain name is the key element of your website that can make or break the deal for you and makes it very important to choose a domain name that works for you and your business.
- Select a .com domain for a global reach and better rank
- Use keywords for selecting your domain so it’s easy and simple to read and understand the purpose
- Do not use any characters apart from alphabets/numbers and keep it as short as possible
- Try to use a generic domain, so as to expand your topic later(If needed)
- Use your name or pen-name so as to reach out to your audience easily
- Try to use synonyms, incase all that you search for are already taken and avoid obscure titles
- Make sure the same title is available on social media
Domain Ranking refers to a process by search engines to determine where particular content should appear on a Search Engine Result Page (SERP). Its visibility refers to how prominently your content is displayed in a SERP.
Ranking and visibility are interlinked and dependent on each other. Better ranking gives better visibility and vice versa.
Google’s algorithm rates websites based on hundreds of inter-connected factors which google does not disclose. However, after various researches and testing, leaders in market have come up with a few factors that affect your websites ranking.
- Website speed – A site needs to be accessible easily.
- Keyword usage– Using the keywords to create specific content.
- Mobile usability – Visibility of your website on mobile. I have personally seen a difference in the appearance and structure of a website over a computer, tablet, and mobile.
- Numbers of inbound/outbound links – Linking to any related topic or something discussed in detail.
- Quality of inbound links – Leading to quality and most relatable content.
In short, a websites domain name, its visibility on SERP’s and its ranking are vital for your blog to be monetized.
We will discuss more on keywords in the chapters to come…
Although a Domain name and ranking are important for Monetization of a blog, it is similarly important for a blogger to have an E-mail list for various reasons, Stay tuned to know more in our next chapter…