An optimized image here doesn’t exactly mean reducing the size or pixels of an image. It means that we need to visually appeal readers with great pictures that are not only light on size but good on quality as well.
You might or might not have a video on your website, but optimized image is a must for a better SEO ranking. Some benefits of optimized image on your website are as follows;
- Improves page loading speed
- Improves your SEO
- Creating backups will be faster
- Small image sizes are appreciated by browsers and networks as they are easier to work with
- Consumes less storage space
The most important aspect of an optimized image is to hit the sweet spot between the lowest file size and acceptable quality. Two major aspects to consider are the file format and type of compression.
There are two types of image compression,
Lossy – This is a process that will eliminate some of the file data. This will degrade the image, so you’ll have to be careful of how much to reduce the image.
Lossless – This is a process that compresses a file’s data. This doesn’t reduce the quality but it does require that the images be uncompressed before they can be rendered.
You can use Photoshop/FileOptimizer/Affinity Photo for optimizing your images.
Choosing the right format for an optimized image:
Before you start optimizing, you need to choose the best file type,
- JPEG – This uses both lossy and lossless optimization, but you can adjust the quality level for a good balance of quality and file size.
- PNG – Produces higher quality images and also has a larger file size. It was basically created as a lossless image format, but can also be in lossy format.
- GIF – This uses 256 colors only and is the best choice for animated images. It only uses lossless compression.
An Optimal Size of your image depends on your content requirement; you could require anything from a large image or a thumbnail.
However, Permalinks is one important aspect of your website. To know more about Permalinks, Stay tuned for the next post…
Re-visit any previous chapter from this journey of a blog monetization
Many more coming soon..