XML is a meta-language that allows us to create or define other languages. For example, XML can create other languages; such as RSS, MathML, and more. The original language of the World Wide Web is HTML (HyperText Markup Language) and the latest version is HTML5. This makes XML XHTML a very important and vital while writing a website.
XHTML stands for EXtensible HyperText Markup Language. It is the next step in the evolution of the internet. Web pages are written in HTML and XHTML languages. HTML is SGML-based while XHTML is XML-based. Hence XHTML is strict compared to HTML and does not give its user a chance to get away with lapses in coding and structure.
XHTML was basically designed to act as an improvement over HTML, with devices other than computers accessing the internet today, it was important to develop a language that could ensure pages and websites were viewable across devices/platforms. In short an XHTML compliant website is compatible and handles errors more robustly.
Benefits of XML and XHTML:
- Documents are XML conforming meaning that they are readily viewed, edited, and validated with standard XML tools.
- Documents can be written to operate better than they did before in existing browsers and in new browsers.
- The documents can utilize applications like scripts and applets that rely upon either the HTML Document Object Model or the XML Document Object Model.
- It works on a clean code, i.e; all XHTML tags must have closing tags and be nested correctly.
- As the XHTML documents have cleaner code they can more easily be crawled by the search engine algorithms.
- These documents reduce bandwidth costs.
- These documents load much faster than the HTML documents.
- It comes with greater accessibility and new developments frequently.
- This has an ability where we can cleanly integrate HTML with other XML applications.
- It works in conjunction with CSS to create web pages that can easily be updated.
By making the switch to XHTML for your future web designs, you will not only get into the habit of writing cleaner code but if combined with CSS create designs that load faster and are more search engine friendly.
Check out other entries from our blog monetization express
A few more to come …